I did not like vegetables as a kid. I wasn’t crazy picky (wasn’t allowed to be) but I definitely was not one of those children that was gung-ho over a plate of broccoli. But for some reason, I loved hearts of palm – and my mom quickly figured out that if she threw some in a salad, I’d easily put away whatever else was there. I love it just as much now as I did then, and while I often throw together a salad for a quick dinner, I almost never do it if I don’t have hearts of palm around.
This is one of my all-time favorite quick summer salads. Hearts of palm and artichokes give it a heartiness that a green salad just can’t muster, and fresh heirloom tomatoes and thickly cut red onions add the perfect punch. Drizzled with a sweet five-minute balsamic reduction, every bite bursts with fresh summer flavor. I had the perfect storm this past weekend – fresh, gorgeous tomatoes from the farmer’s market, a new jar of hearts of palm from my mom (she gets them for me at Costco because she still wants to make sure I eat salad), and a fancy bottle of balsamic I got as a thank you gift.
And while I’m talking about thank yous, I’d like to wish a happy birthday to my fantastic and inimitable mother – thank you for being the kind of mom that made sure I always ate my salad!
|Tomato, Artichoke, and Hearts of Palm Salad||
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 can artichoke hearts packed in water
- 1 small red onion
- 6 stalks hearts of palm
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan over low heat, cook the balsamic vinegar until thickened and reduced by about ½ (3-4 minutes).
- Quarter the artichoke hearts and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Roughly chop the onion, hearts of palm, and tomatoes and add to the bowl with the artichokes.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with balsamic reduction. Serve immediately.